Tuesday, February 22, 2022

This Woman's Work: Essays on Music

 





Two things first: 

1) I didn't read this book in order.  Why? Because that is the pure joy of collections of essays.  Thank you College Lit 101 for teaching me that (sorry I can't remember my professors name... but hey lady... I appreciate the thing you taught me). 
2) I love collections.  It's easily digestible.  Easy to take up and  read at my leisure and ease.  

The cover has a photo of Kim Gordon.  She is a contributor and one of the editors. That is not solely why I read the book, sure it didn't hurt but the idea of reading essays by women (possibly for and about women) was the attraction.  It was not a disappointment, this book was lovely and a great way to kick off the literary year for me. I was introduced to so many different women writers and musicians that I didn't know about, my brain was opened up in a way that I didn't anticipate reacting to these essays. 

The first essay that I read was which also kicks of the book- "Fan Girl" by Anne Enright.  As I read this story I laughed out loud at points... the author meets one of her favorite musical artists (no spoilers) and reading about it was so wonderful.  I can relate to her experience as I had the same reaction she did with her icon with several people that I have been fortunate enough to be able to meet some of my favorite artists. If you read the story you will laugh too because honestly... this is what happens.  The essay continues with some additional information about further thoughts into the interaction.  It made me really think deeply about my interactions and the sillieness but the reason why it was so silly and wonderful.  I thank Anne Enright for taking me to a place that brought me such joy from my memory bank. 

Another highlight was "Double-Digit Jukebox: An Essay in Eight Mixes" by Leslie Jamison.  This essay is about various times in her life and how the mix tape plays a role.  It was a delight.  This sentence totally blew me away "sunlit salt breeze world of the west".  She talks to her brother's influence on her musical taste, which is a truth for so many.  I was the older sibling so I hope that my brother feels as warmly as the author does for her brother.  Reading this essay made me remember something that is less than caring (a boyfriend back in the day, made a mixtape for another girlfriend that I didn't really know about... and yes, when I found that mixtape he made for the other girl... I walked. It is something that is breakupable... don't be fooled) but was a funny memory nonetheless.  Music is such a trigger for memories and this essay brought some great things (and less than great).   A miss from the author is that her playlists (today's mixtape are not up anymore... I would have LOVED to have listened to them.  By the way I read this while I was at a bar listening to a live band.  I had two folks come up and ask me what I was reading and I believe in my heart of hearts sharing the joy of what I reading had them add it to their wish list. Fingers Crossed. 

I read a couple more treats of essays in order and was introduced to musicans that I had never heard of.  Some that I couldn't find the music of and others that have entire playlists dedicated to them.  I suggest when you read these stories, find a playlist about the subject and have it in the background.  Seriously ... It makes such a difference and it is a nice accessory to the experience.

I read the remembrances of a friend of author Maggie Nelson  who recalls "My Brilliant Friend". It is a remembrance of her childhood friend musician, Lhasa. I hadn't ever heard of this artist and the story and essay ended up being a loving memorial to her friend.  It was really wonderful.  And I got introduced to a new musician.  I appreciated the genuine discussion of and memory of the time they had together.  Don't forget your friends- this is one of the messages and love these memories.  

One other highlight was "Hearing Voices" by Zakia Sewell.  To say that my heart broke while reading would not be a lie.  It made me appreciate my Mom, the music that she brought into my life growing up and I want to thank the author for reminding me of my love for my childhood with all the music my parents and mom truly brought into my life.  

This is a GREAT read by some amazing authors, writers, musicians and artists.  I took a while to get through the whole book because I wanted to make sure that I absorbed all the different styles and stories.  

Thanks to Hachette Books for providing me with an advanced copy. I look forward to sending this to a few friends for birthday presents.  There are such treasures to hold onto in this book  

This Woman's Work:  Essays on Music is releasing on May 3, 2022 (link to Amazon- for ease not for any affiliation link, I don't do that).  

No comments: