Saturday, November 27, 2021

This weekend is free channel viewing on Comcast... Xfinity.... there was ONLY one thing that I wanted to watch...

PUNK

When it first came out I thought that we had Epix.  We didn't. I found out when I set the dvr and nothing came up.  To say I have been waiting for a couple of years to watch this would be a total understatement.  

There are a couple of highlights... I actually wanted to give John Lydon a hug, hearing Joan Jett say "Pussy to the Wood" may be my new favorite thing ever, seeing Harley from the CroMags playing drums at 12 is amazing... that guy gave us all hope back in the day..., early Blondie footage, BAD BRAINS, a lovely interview with Dave Vanian, and the whole thing.  I suppose honestly that is what I was hoping the book I just reviewed would be, this mini series has been what I wished it would be. Thank you John Varvatos, Iggy Pop your executive production backing and to the director Jesse James Miller, I tip my review to you and your amazing trip down memory lane for me. 

I went to the show page on my app and the recording was still set.  Awwwww.  daymn.  But today has been the day and it's been amazing.  

The first three episodes are mostly the NY and London scenes which of course I love. But the fourth episode is where my experience most closely resembles... LA and DC punk rock.  The scene that I knew here was magic but honestly my heart was with the LA bands.  I love my parents for letting both me and my brother listen to whatever we wanted with NO questions and let us go to whatever shows we wanted to at The Rainbow Music Hall.   Don't get me wrong, this girl loved (and still does) her showtunes and Jazz. BUT where I found my heart and the door opened to being accepted unconditionally was with Punk Rock.  

I love Keith Morris so listening to him talk about Black Flag and The Circle Jerks just makes me happy.  The last time I was in LA we saw him on Sunset and I almost yelled out to him... I so wanted to. I have a picture of him walking down the street, somewhere, I will always respect those that I admire as much as I can.  I didn't a couple of times and don't regret that either...(:: cough cough:: I am talking about hugging you Jello) BUT I will never forget Keith Morris walking off from me screaming at him in my head. Oh I also interrupted Henry Rollins in a food court while he was eating lunch.  He was kind and let me sit with him.  While I fawned at him for like 10 minutes.  

This summer I promise right here in writing, we will do a backyard screening of Decline in Western Civilization.  I said last year I was going to but we had the fucking pandemic.  This summer.  Bring your own stubbies and ... 

Here is your own little parting knowledge and if you win pub trivia you owe me a beer... Joan Jett produced What We Do In Secret by The Germs.  You are welcome.  


 





No comments: