Tuesday, February 02, 2016

I just am taking a little snow break and thought I would read an excerpt of an upcoming book

I just read an excerpt from The Extra: by A.B. Yehoshua.  (publishing in June by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) 

The cover intreged me ... the picture of a harpist plucking away. Not knowing anything about this book or the author really I just clicked or plucked (terrible joke).

And what a delight.  I was taken back in just that excerpt to when I was 16 and in Jerusalem.  I am not a musician but there were two questions that were raised that as an American I could relate to ... the new versus old city and the fear of judgement (from family and other more religious people around me). 

In the excerpt that I read I wasn't quite sure how modern a "time" this was set but I don't know that it matters. There was a slight humor and familial bond that was displayed that is timeless. 

And for a snowy cold day here... a little mental vacation to the warmth and sunshine of the Mediterranean was and is welcome.  

I look forward to watching for more about this book!  I really do anticipate it will be a good one.  Maybe it will take me on the journey that The Dove Keepers did.  I really did love that book, it was more historical though than what this book appears.... hmmmm!  I will have to wait and see.  I forget about Alice Hoffman.  I need to add a book or two of hers to my list.  

Shoveled almost all morning out from a rather mellow but large snow fall. 

I plan this afternoon to continue the history journey through the eyes of Bunty's daughter Ruby... it's fascinating and fully of interesting British nuances.  Very much enjoying Behind the Scenes at the Museum.

No comments: