Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Snap! from World of Wonder dot net

Snap!: "

David Bowie performing as Ziggy Stardust on a TV in a room at the Delmonico Hotel in New York, 1974. (Photo by Henry Diltz)

~~~~~~~

There are so many things that I just adore about this photo above. One... it's Bowie and then there are four different layers of light captured here. Honestly it just makes me happy. TV blues are usually not "warm" colors the blue is harsh, but the undertone of the green (probably because this is shot on film and not digital) makes it pleasing to the eye.

This might actually have to be my calendar picture for December. Henry Diltz... you rule. Ok seriously... he does. Just check out what he has done. I liked the photo just for itself and not because of who shot it, which stands for something, but holy moley... his work really impresses and inspired me this morning.

I want to be a better photographer more than anything. Saturday when we were at the Bad Luck City show I was getting very frustrated by my Canon Rebel. It just wasn't shooting like I wanted and I switched to my XSI which I am getting more comfortable with. Saturday I was having so much frustration with the light that I nearly just picked up the IPhone and started shooting with it, but then I couldn't find it which is a whole 'nother story. Now it is a GREAT camera and lots of attachments and toys with the Iphone camera for sure but there was something that just challenged the shit out of me on Saturday. I wish I could have figured out what was happening but I just couldn't get past nothing being focused where I wanted it to be. I think I was close on a couple but meh... nothing great. F took my XSI out of my hands for a while and I am sure his shots are much much better than what I was getting. I had to just hand it off. I couldn't take how I wasn't getting what I wanted. I have to be really honest, I haven't even looked at the shots. Haven't even looked. What is that? I am being stubborn because I was so frustrated.

Then there are the shots like the one above that make me want to power past any of those feelings of ineptitude and just take the Rebel with me and deal. Practice I am sure will help.

So thanks Henry Diltz for the inspiration, lets see what I can do with it!

No comments: