Saturday, March 12, 2022

Guy Branum's My Life as a Goddess

 

My Life as a Goddess: A Memoir through (Un) Popular CultureMy Life as a Goddess: A Memoir through (Un) Popular Culture by Guy Branum
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Guy Branum is very very smart. Let me just say that. Plus he has a biting humor that I really do love. I am only truly sorry that he saved most of that humor for footnotes. BUT I love footnotes so I am sorry for my previous sentence.

I really appreciate what the book is about, overcoming shit in the entertainment business and making your best self eventually fall forward.

I wanted to read this book when it first came out. I am glad that I didn't. A few years ago, I don't think I would have enjoyed it quite as much. I wasn't ready for it. I wasn't in a place that I had fallen forward enough yet. This book reminded me by reading essays on Mr. Branum's working forward how well I have done. So for that I thank you sir for the gentle reminder of that.

Some of the essays read like legal briefs to me. Which reminded me of my legal secretarial days but I snapped out of it when I realized I was reading a brief about two TV comedy's. Insert MY footnote : Holy crap how far have I come, this chapter was a full circle moment for me big time.

Thanks for the great read, if you are looking for comedy - read the footnotes, if you are looking for an inspirational drive through some challenging things - read the book without the footnotes.



View all my reviews

No comments: