Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - whoa what a journey

 


First off: wasn't quite sure what to really expect when I was offered this book to read (thank you so much Simon & Schuster and 37 ink - the publishers) but it sounded like something that I would enjoy, the tie to the music side of the story grabbed my interest.  Honestly I didn't know anything about the book and was looking for something to read inbetween waiting for the Stand to be available from the library again to be able to finish it up. 

Dawnie Walton is an Iowa Writing Workshop MFA graduate and worked at Tin House (RIP).  I am more jealous of her than I thought I would be while reading the linked article.  It is so completely apparent what a formative talent she is.  Reading this book was a history lesson, wrapped in a rock and roll history lesson, wrapped in a civil rights story, further and finally wrapped in a box of Black History all in one... and it's truly fabulous (just like the character Opal's fine dressage).

So, there you have it.  Not going to front here... the first part of the book, being a compendium of oral history for me was a little distracting, the history that was dialoged what a little hard to discern character to character  while I was reading it (except Virgil... his voice was very there).

Yet, for me at least, when the author moves to a more traditional style they come more alive... and this is where the story shines.  There are many people posting that the book is like Daisy Jones & the Six, but really it isn't.  Nor is it like any of the other oral history books out there, it's a cop out to compare it so stop it y'all.  

Yes there is the oral history component but it's not the crux of the style or even the story.  Get past it people, it's a super different experience.  

Here is a line that was in the book that shows what a talent Dawnie Walton is (and forgive me publishers, I know I am not supposed to quote the book without permission, I will remove it if you wish)... 

"...a million speck of dust exposed and floating in the light, telling stories on you"... this is a line that just slayed me... it is so incredibly beautiful, scene setting and telling.  Wow wow wow... Dawnie Walton had me in her story at that point.  Honestly... that was the sentence that grabbed a hold of me. 

This is a full story of a journalist who is on a journey to discover her family truth, cover the music industry and career of a strong woman and her obstacles.  Along the way some unknown truth doors are opened and those inevitable feelings that are underlying with all the characters. These are strong people we are reading about and honestly I want to know where these characters live in real life because I want to buy all the records, read all the magazines and know them better.  It's a story about strong women and some weak people facing their truths.  

The Final Revival of Opal and Nev is a great read... really a great read.  No spoilers of course, but I thought the "gotcha" at the beginning was the one that would follow the story through, nope, there are some great twists and turns.  Also a lot of history that is forgotten about how marginalized black people were (and still are) in the entertainment and music industry at all levels.  Lots to imagine and learn with this fine novel.

The folks raving about this book are right and I am joining that chorus too.


Edited: We watched the Book Soup conversation... it was terrific.  It is archived here.  I want to add that I learned so much more about the backgrounds of the characters, some which I could definitely imagine and some that I was surprised by.  Taylor Jenkins Reid was so delightful in the interview as well. I was so delighted by their conversation that now I want to go back and re-read this book. Seriously.  I took notes even. What?!  Really so great.  Please go and watch the interview... it will tell you so much more (and more eloquently than I ever could) about the story and hopefully draw you in as I did.  

Thank you BookSoup for this ... it was amazing!  






No comments: