Monday, April 10, 2017

What am I reading right now?

So about 5 years ago or so Fez and I were at Costco looking at the book stacks.  I got him 
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. He read it and said it was great.  I always found something else to read. 

When I was in my first year of college I took one biology class. I was considering pre-med and thought hey I should probably consider a high level course and see if I am as good at this stuff as I was in highschool (which was pretty ok ... brag zone... sorry).  And that must have been where I heard about HeLa Cells.  Can't imagine hearing anywhere else about it.  Anyways... I heard back when the book came out an interview and discussion about all the research and what went into the book and I honestly thought the book would be a downer.

Soooooo, when we are watching a show on HBO and see that Ms. Oprah has a movie version of the book coming out I figured I better get to reading already.

I am loving it.  Really truly loving it.  

I am at about the mid point in the book. I really don't want to write too much about what is happening as I don't want to "spoil" it for anyone that hasn't read the book or is waiting for the movie.  But I am truly riveted.  Something that I didn't expect whatsoever.  I thought oh sure this will be a investigative medical journey and really it's a history lesson in race relations, medical investigation, medical research, family dynamics. This book... dare I say it... has it all.

Sex, drugs and juke joints.  (well at least in the first part) not sure about the second.

Its a fascinating journey through dare I be so bold to say... our country's history.  It's a pretty bold statement I know... but take it from me... it's really a great read and I know once I watch Ms. Oprah's version of the book the viewing will be too.

But I have to finish the book before I watch the movie. That is my rule.  

I am hoping to finish it this week... I will post when I am done.

No comments: