Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chef Doesn't Quite Appreciate Reviews From Inbred, Jobless, Bored Yelp Users

Chef Doesn't Quite Appreciate Reviews From Inbred, Jobless, Bored Yelp Users: (I removed the silly Kitteh at a computer picture- I don't think that it adds anything so poof just like that gone) -

Some people don't like to be criticized, especially when the criticism comes from amateurs and when said criticism can have an impact on their income. Just ask the chef at a restaurant in Denver who has kicked up a crap storm after unleashing his true feelings about Yelp.com reviewers.When asked what he'd like to see less of in Denver from a culinary standpoint, the chef replied:

Amateur instant online restaurant critics -- specifically those who write reviews for a website that rhymes with 'kelp.' Think about it: They review a McDonald's and then turn around and review Mizuna. I just imagine bored, jobless layabouts with not many friends who are convinced that they're going to have a bad time before they even step through the door of a joint. The kicker is, you can't respond to these inbreds and try to educate, or at least explain, why some things happen the way they happen. Have a little fun, for chrissakes. Loosen up when you go out, and let me be the stress ball in the kitchen busting my ass for twelve-plus hours trying to make you the best food I can. Fuck you!

If he thought the Yelp reviews were harsh before, we have a hunch they might get a little nastier over the next couple days.
Table 6 exec chef Scott Parker on hunger, eating a deep-fried rosebud and inbred amateur restaurant critics who frequent a site that rhymes with 'kelp' [westword.com via eater.com]
Thanks to Raphael for the tip!
"

Ok clear and honest disclosure... my boyfriend works for said paper, I don't post comments very often there because I think it's not appropriate to do so, but I love watching it unfold. It really doesn't keep me from constantly checking in online to see what folks are posting comments to because Denver has its share of constant commenters who tend to be very active and opinionated. It is usually completely awesome to watch unfold sometimes (see the following about Leroy Jenkins and Rave Babes... just a few of the real gems). This exchange above is a beaut. See I use yelp and got TOTALLY SLAMMED by the owner of the Big Fat Cupcake who slammed me and my review and was really quite nasty to me about the fact that I dared to critisize her selling my pre paid for cupcakes and not being willing to refund/return my credit card charge. So I know how Yelp can get out of control and it's nasty business that people take WAY WAY too seriously. I personally hate it, but they throw kick ass parties and in order to get invited you have to be active on the site and I am getting ever so much closer... closer to being invited to the elite events sans knowing the dj. Seriously they are great parties. I post for the potential free booze.

There I said it.

But watching the flame war happen off Yelp? Priceless.

I like reviewing places that I go and nearly ALWAYS (sans big fat schmupcake in ::cough cough:: Schmery Chic) post something positive. But I am no critic. Just opinionated and I think maybe the chef forgot that but the commenters certainly haven't. It's something and NUTS that it is reached the outer limits of the webverse (Eater and Consumerist). Impressive.

No comments: