Friday, January 09, 2004

so I am making my brisket tonite

apparantly the meat I pulled out of the freezer a couple weeks ago was triangle... oops the butcher's daughter should know better I guess. Shame on me. I went to pull what I thought was steak out of the fridge and it is a huge brisket. Oops. So called some folks over for dinner tommorrow night and I am going to get a cookin' tonite. Then maybe go out. Need to see how I feel about that in a little bit.

The work week has come to an end and I can honestly I only whigged out once with the level of frustration and arg-avation. Which is a good thing. But after not being in the office for almost 10 days I have to admit, I am shocked and surprised by how quickly the week went by!

Turning the computer off here in a little bit since it is becoming a huge emotional babysitter for me. I have a coffee cake recipie to download for the weekend breakfasts and then I am putting my cpu to bed. The CPU fan is out and I need to replace it tommorrow, so it gets all hot and reboots and that can't be good.



So here is the recipie... super easy and sooooo unbelievably tasty.


Zoe's Mom's Yontov Brisket

I asked her if I could post her secret recipie, even though its not so secret

4-5 pound brisket
1 can of tomato sauce (you can also use a can 6 ounce of tomato paste and dilute with 1 cup or 1 1/2 cups of water)(I use 15 ounce can and about a 1/4 of water for lots of gravy)
1 package dried onion soup mix

(you can also dilute the tomato paste with a cup of wine if you prefer, I don't use wine because I think it tastes well, not like my mom's)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (sorry I don't know the metric conversion)

1. Brown defrosted/thawed brisket if you prefer quickly on both sides (this step is completely NOT necessary, but some like it that way)
2. Place thawed brisket in an oven proof / pyrex baking pan (I use a nice 9x11 inch glass baking dish, lined with foil, easy on the clean up if you are using a metal baking dish, I prefer pyrex with out the foil liner)
3. Pour the tomato sauce over and around the brisket
4. Scatter contents of onion soup mix liberally around and on the brisket

Option: you can also placed large cubed or quartered chunks of potato around the brisket if you prefer over the sauce and have roasted potatoes, new potatos in their skins are particularly good by the way, and carrots too are good with the potatos)

Place foil over the brisket tightly (because its gunna splatter), poke a couple air vents in the top of the foil and place in the oven.

Let it stay there for 3 to 3 and a half hours and cook.

Your house will smell like the holdiays or Shabbos at my Moms house. When you smell that smell, breathe it in, feel my Mamala's love.

At 3 and a half hours, I usually turn the oven down to about 200 let it cook just a little more, about a half hour or so then turn the oven off. Take the brisket out and let it cool nice and completely.

Then you can slice it. (its easier if its cooled, then you can reheat by putting it back in the oven for a little bit) (and a little slicing trick from my dad... slice in half against the grain and then slice each half)

Carefully remove the foil lining, if you used it and pour gravy into what ever you want to. I will make kasha with luchen or roast potatoes seperately and use the gravy for added flavor and then set aside some for over the meat.

And there you have the worlds easiest and most loved in my family at least... Brisket Recipie.

No comments: