Sunday, September 03, 2023

I have been reading, just not posting.

I really wanted to start reading again but for pleasure and not for posting. There was so much pressure I think to read a book and just post up my thoughts about what I read that I honestly didn't enjoy it anymore. Where was the fun? It was lost on me to be honest. I disengaged with Goodreads, this (what has become a bookie blog) and following writers and reviewers on the social media circut (expect my beloved Jenny Lawson and Chuck Palahniuk if I am going to be completely honest). But I have been reading a few galleys over the last couple of weeks that have really knocked my socks off and for different reasons.


  Anne Frank on Tour and Other StoriesAnne Frank on Tour and Other Stories by George Thomas Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Enjoyed this creative collection of short (some very short) stories. I requested via netgalley as a jumping off point to start reading again this summer after a short respite from reading to review.
What a nice way to get back in the saddle.

The author really captured the voices of each of his characters which was a delight and unexpected. The titular character had the same voice as I recall reading from her diaries back many long years ago. The other characters from Putin to Dolly Parton to Elvis are all covered here and with seemingly great care to not disrupt their professional spirit.

This is an easy read and a fun journey into what could be, could have been and what a character can be in a short story.

I really enjoyed it and it was a great reminder that a terrifically told story doesn't have to be a huge diatribe. It can be a few paragraphs for the point of the story to be made. What a treat.

What I really loved about this collection of short stories is each chapter/story was really completely different than the previous or next story. Each character 100% had their own voice. I know that it's hard to do. I didn't imagine that I would have liked this small collection as much as I did. I usually read a chapter a night before I go to bed and since many of the stories were very short (with no losss to the story itself mind you... another achievement) this made for a nice pre-sleep ritual. I raced through this book and enjoyed each character that I encountered.

The second review copy I received approval for this summer was - 


I am currently reading this and will remove the cover art and post up with the link like above when I am done. BUT ... I had never heard of the band Speedball Baby (and only today even googled them and listened to a song or two).  I have never heard of this author.. 

 BUT the prologue was written by Exene who I do know and do love... so I didn't think she would leave me stranded. And whoa so far (I am about 1/2 way through) I am not disappointed. 

Road diaries can be a slog but this book doesn't read like that in the least.  It is a joy ride.  Now I have to qualify that this is not a fun story but it reads like a novel, is really well written and I believe really does capture that moment in time where bands were signed and sent out on the road to make it.  

I am truly impressed and very very much engaged in this story.  When I go outside during office breaks during the week I sneak in a couple of pages to live vicariously and keep the action going on the author's adventures.  That is saying something.  

I am about halfway in.  Part of the holiday weekend goals is to finish so I can post up the remainder of the "review".  

PS the music is fun a.f. and the book in it's way is too. 

More to come on that bb's. 

Additionally - I do post up my thoughts and comments on Goodreads because that is the place that Netgalley directs you to. I am super duper grateful to each publisher that provides me with a galley to read in advance of publishing.  I am not going to deny that every time I get a book in that way (and when I buy on my own...) I am more than gitty to share my opinions. But with galley books the publishers want to see it somewhere... and the Goodreads platform is sadly the option of choice I suppose. 

I was listening to a podcast this week while walking my dog in the morning and heard in passing something about Elizabeth Gilbert, book reviewers and 1 star reviews cancelling a book before it even published. 

I went back and gave it a second listen because it's really important. 

Here is the pod if you are so inclined (PS this book sounds freaking great, I am adding it to my want to read list by the way:  Into It with Sam Sanders: Brandon Taylor Wants to Bring Gatekeeping Back to Book Criticism and a link to the Washington Post article (at this time there is no paywall but  popup for subscription) that they are talking about in this podcast.  I am personally not a fan of Goodreads anymore, or was I really ever. But it's how publishers in alot of cases find reviews of value I suppose. 

I only post up my commentary on books that I actually read, but honey, bb, kiddos I am more than a book reader.  I would love someplace to post thoughts, commentary, ideas other than a single threaded outdated platform.  So I think (and right now it's just a thought...) about starting a substack because that seems to be the platform of the moment. It certainly isn't here (talking about outdated platforms) for much longer I don't think.  

I will have the same amount of subscribers there as here I am sure ... lol it's like 1 person maybe... but change is afoot.  





  







No comments: