Monday, January 04, 2021

What has the pandemic wrought?

 Well for one I have been reading alot... as many folks have.


I finished Welcome to the United States of Anxiety by Jen Lancaster 

 I am a fan of Ms Lancaster on Instagram... love her.  She saves me the time and energy watching some of the Bachler shows... I would give her a rose (that is the right thing right?) for her energy and sincere love of the wrapups.  So she announced that her book was out and I got it the ebook that day.  I just knew that it would be exactly what I needed to have bedside on the ipad to read before I went to bed.  

So why did it take so long to read?  

Oh because I started The Stand by Stephen King all 1000 pages of it.  It's a long read, it's a deep dive to start in a pandemic not going to lie.  How do he know?  I mean geebus how did he know? I think I started it in April.  I finally found the mass market paperback locally but have been reading the ebook.  The book is just too small and hard to hold I have tiny little hands and I can't.  Sorry that is why I keep getting the book from the library.  I read it often but it takes so much time.  Not that I regret getting started.  
















So why would I start a book about a pandemic in the middle of one?  Yeah there are a couple of reasons.  

One I have a pen pal named Ms. Shirley (Hi Ms Shirley!!!!) who was looking for a friend to write about Stephen King novels.  So I needed a book to start, it seemed like a good one.  What a ride it's been. I feel terrible because another friend got her the book and she is going to start it soon she says.  That'll teach me.  I do love the style.  There is so much in this book.  I am halfway through.  I will beat this beast.  I am back on the waitlist and it's a good thing because I can take the time away to finish a couple of other ones that I started.


And the other reason... why not read a complex story about a pandemic that possibly will scare the shit out of me while we are in a pandemic and I am actually having the shit scared out of me?

So while I am waiting for the ebook to come up available from the library again and I am not willing to hold that tiny but HUGE mass paperback ....Here is what I have in que and started. 

I.M. a memoir by Isaac Mizrahi - LOVE THIS BOOK. Love it.  I think I am reading it slowly because I just want to think we are friends and he is spilling tea with me.  I know that this is not even remotely true... but hey Issac... if you read this...  I would talk recipes with you mmm k? 


Don't let the inexpensive ebook price catch you thinking that this is just some dumb ebook.  It's clever and really great.  More to come on this later.  I am so ding dang lucky that I know the author because it's really a great read.  More on that to come later when I have finished.  But it is in process and I want to read it at a clip and not the fits and starts that come from being in The Stand World as I call it right now. I am probably at somepoint going to share a recipe with him since mostly the times that we connect I am eating.  Keepin' it classy.  



For my anniversary the little Mr bought me a signed copy of Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson so I started to re-read the ebook that I have.  I love this woman.  Seriously. You know how I said above that I would invite a friendship with Isaac Mizrahi?  I would quake in my boots if I was ever even in the same room with this fine and special being on the planet. To say she is funny and special is beyond.  I watched her book reading here that is a preview for her new book that is coming in April (if I remember correctly... I do have a request for the galley... and yes I would review it, yes I would buy a hard copy and yes I will talk about it anyways... but wouldn't you like to have a review?  Hint hint...oh I will talk about this so much).  At the beginning or maybe middle of the pandemic I am not sure when since time is completely meaningless right now, she gave a walkthrough of her bookshelves behind her desk.  It was incredible.  I can't colorize my bookshelves... it truly goes against everything that I know (I wanted to be a librarian at one time) but I loved her talking about her books... like her they are friends in a way.  She had a story for each one she picked.  It was magic.  

OH I almost completely forgot. 



If you are looking for something to do while we wait patiently for the pandemic to be over... Jenny Lawson also has a coloring book out.  It is great I just look at it and color it in with my imagination because the copy I have is hard for me to actually color in.  I don't know why I can't just do it.  It's like that with Chuck Palahniuk's coloring books I suppose, I have them and I just can't bring myself to marr them up.  I may have to get another one to actually color in.  I do have some more time on my hands now than I did before.  Updates for that in a bit... sorry to vaguebook on that but I don't like to put too much of myself out there anymore.  

OH and I am linking to the books to a small amazing bookshop in Texas where you should consider buying your books from.  They ship anywhere and would be happy to take your order.  

xoxo and happy reading friends... Zoe



No comments: