Saturday, January 13, 2018

My Grandma would be impressed.


Women's Gold - 
From the State Capital Art work site:  This wall hanging is a tribute to the historical achievements of Colorado's women. It is entitled "Women's Gold" because of the yellow roses found in mining camps by gold seekers. 
Located in the NE Rotunda

When I was a pre teen... my grandma P and I used to needlepoint.  She was a master and with time and arthritis had to give it up.  I remember when I was in fifth grade the Denver Needlepoint Guild (here is a link to a current chapter... I have no idea what chapter Grandma was a member of) had a project that they took around the city to have people install their own stitches into this project.  It was a history project about the  women of Denver done in needlepoint that eventually made it's way into the State Capital (see above - not my picture, from the Capital site.

I remember, so warmly, how proud I was when my Grandma brought the project to my school and some friends made some stitches and I did too.  I donated (via my grandma) a small star to go on a stitched necklace for Florence Wisebart Jacobs image on the project too.

This morning when I was flipping through some old saved links in my read later folder I came across this post from Poppytalk.  And then I dove deeper into A.Mao's Etsy site  and just had to take a moment to remember and post about that above.  It's a great memory and I think it should be remembered.

And as an aside.... I really to think my Grandma P would be so impressed with the use of the LEDs and the updated take on the art.  She was pretty progressive and liked to see modern takes on almost everything and would try them too.    

My friend L and I keep talking the talk about going to "foul mouthed cross stitch" at a local brewery here called (ironic to this post at least) Grandma's House.  I am a little more inspired to try and get my act together and just get my butt down there to try and remember how much I used to like that.  I was crafty back then.  

I don't have time to get fully immersed again as I do tend to do when I pick something up... but it would be fun and a great nod to what I used to do.  

At least once in 2018 I am going to go down and do it.  Cross Stitch then maybe embroider some flowers around it?  I dunno.... but this has me meloncoly and actually thinking about how much fun my Grandma would have going to a brewery to embroider/cross stitch and maybe adding an LED or two.  She would find it a heck of a lot of fun I am sure.  .  




No comments: